[lit-ideas] resentment

  • From: Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 08:43:42 -0500

>> ... must ipso facto be
monsters of greed and depravity.

Agreed! We can indulge a certain modal fictionalism and see how we implicitly engage with certain human types -- more from pop culture than from our own experience. Imagine these subverted stereotypes as capsule movie plots:

(a) A narrow-minded and selfish old American Indian Chief learns the meaning of life from a wise, young CEO who is in touch with nature and can talk to animals.

(b) Two gay men meet, fall in love, and start a business together. The business and the romance fail, not because of any social stigma or public disapproval, but because the men are promiscuous and too emotionally immature to sustain a relationship.

(c) An idealistic Harvard intellectual travels to Appalachia to teach public school in a culturally deprived area. Mingling with the common folk, he quickly discovers how essentially vile and worthless they are. He never earns their respect and they ultimately kill him.