[lit-ideas] Re: non-news

  • From: Paul Stone <pas@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 00:00:07 -0400

At 10:49 PM 8/9/04, you wrote:
>FYI. From the Associated Press via the Seattle Intelligencer via Google
>News
>
>=======
>Recent nuclear accidents in Japan:

These are "recent accidents at Nuclear plants in Japan", NOT 'recent
nuclear accidents in Japan" as the FYI would have you think. ONLY the SEPT
99 incident is even remotely newsworthy under the headline that you
supplied. I stand behind my initial remarks. It is NO WONDER that there are
cover ups. 6 incidents in almost 9 years and there is coverage that would
make the average news-reader think that nuclear energy is incredibly
dangerous -- something which is bullshit -- there have only been two
"disasters" in 52 years -- worldwide. And one of those was waaaaaaaaay
overblown (three-mile-island) the other being Chernobyl which was actually
bad.  Yes... of course, left unchecked there is the possibility for
tremendous catastrophe, but this continued heightened alert because of
"nuclear accidents" is just disingenuous. Nuclear power is safe if run
correctly. To update Socrates "An unthreatened life is not worth living".

There have been more deaths at the local tomato processing plant in the
last 10 years. This is a complete non-issue, but connect the buzzword
"nukyular" and you have panic -- something which the media wants. Without
panic, they sell no more papers. Making imbeciles is their business.

paul