[lit-ideas] Re: non-news

  • From: John McCreery <mccreery@xxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 11:44:36 +0900

On 2004/08/10, at 2:07, Paul Stone wrote:

> Has NOTHING to do with nuclear power per se. IT was a steam leak and
> at NO
> time was anyone in danger from a "nuclear accident" but the PRESS once
> again whips the fervor.

Hi, Paul.

I'd agree with what you say if the issue were only one accident that,
technically speaking, might have happened in an oil or coal-fired power
plant. But to see it in this light is to ignore a continuing stream of
incidents that have cast serious doubts on Japanese nuclear
industry/regulatory agency claims that everything is well under
control. Broadening the perspective further, I see critical issues that
affect many industries that affect our lives and well-being.

My thesis is this: Industries start with technological breakthroughs.
While the breakthrough technology is new, smart, dedicated people find
the new industry an exciting place to work. Problems emerge, however,
as the industry matures, the excitement moves elsewhere, and its jobs
become routine. Routine leads to boredom and slacking. Accidents
happen.

This process is aggravated when bean counters take over an industry's
management. Since upside growth is limited, increased profitability
depends on cutting costs. Cutting costs leads to cutting corners,
cutting corners encourages slacking. More accidents happen.

Nuclear power is only one of numerous examples but an especially
frightening one since, while the accidents to date have been minor, the
consequences of a major accident may have catastrophic consequences
(think Cernobyl). Failing to properly clean milk storage tanks (another
famous local instance) may only result in food poisoning for a few
hundred people; a nuclear meltdown could affect tens or hundreds of
thousands.

Given the possible downside, plus the well-known tendency of
irresponsible people in positions of responsibility to cover their
butts, it would be naive in the extreme not to take this kind of
incident seriously, let alone accept industry/government assurances
that all is well after all.

John L. McCreery
The Word Works, Ltd.
55-13-202 Miyagaya, Nishi-ku