[lit-ideas] Re: (no subject)

  • From: palma <palma@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2010 06:25:28 -0400 (EDT)

what is an imposition?
did someone impose on primes to be non finite in size?
On Sat, 23 Oct 2010, Andreas Ramos wrote:

I've been wondering about this for the last few years.

- Is mathematics a feature of nature, or is it imposed on nature by
the sentient mind? Counting cows is easy, but what about pi and
sophisticated mathematics? See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pure_mathematics

- The same for logic. Are the rules of logic also the laws of nature?
Or again, is this part of the human mind's way to understanding
nature? This becomes a problem with quantum mechanics: sub-atomic
particles don't obey the laws of the human-visible world.
Teleportation, persistence, and so on.

yrs,
andreas
www.andreas.com

On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 11:00 AM, Torgeir Fjeld <torgeir_fjeld@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
Donal writes:

We may say there was no number system on earth before humans invented one. This
would not mean such a number system could not apply to what is 'out there'.

Consider two number systems:- (a) '1, 2, 3, 5, more than 5'; and (b) '1, 2, 3,
4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, more than 10'. The farmer with exactly 8 cows using
(a)can truthfully say he has 'more than 5' cows; and using (b) can truthfully
say he has exactly 8 cows. Without the man-made invention of a number system he
could say neither, but that does not mean the invention cannot be used to
describe what is 'out there'. A farmer with 8 cows but no counting-system would
still have 8 cows; this fact is true by virtue of what is 'out there'
irrespective of whether he has the means to express or know this fact. A
farmerless field with exactly 8 cows in it also has 8 cows in it - no more, no
less - irrespective of whether humans or any other creature have a number
system to say so.

There's a loophole in this reasoning. When Donal states that "A farmer with 8 cows
but no counting-system would still have 8 cows; this fact is true by virtue of what is
'out there'", is not the reason why the farmer has 8 (not 7 or 9) cows that Donal
states in the premise that he has that amount? The appropriate question is not whether
the farmer has 8 cows due to it being so /out there/, but whether the 8 cows appear so
/to the farmer/ (and not to some dislocated, ephemeral theorist outside the practice of
farming). And in order to answer this question the farmer's reportoire of articulation is
highly relevant.

Best,
Torgeir Fjeld
Norway

/begin/read__>sig.file: postal address
palma
University of KwaZulu-Natal Philosophy
3rd floor of Memorial Tower Building
Howard College Campus
Durban 4041
South Africa
Tel off: [+27] 031 2601591 (sec: Mrs. Yolanda Hordyk) [+27] 031-2602292
Fax [+27] 031-2603031
mobile 07 62 36 23 91            calling from overseas +[27] 76 2362391
EMAIL: palma@xxxxxxxx
EMAIL: palma@xxxxxxxxxx

MY OFFICE IS A290@Mtb

*only when in Europe*: inst. J. Nicod
29 rue d'Ulm
f-75005 paris france
________
This e-mail message (and attachments) is confidential, and/or privileged and is
intended for the
use of the addressee only. If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail
you must not copy,
distribute, take any action in reliance on it or disclose it to anyone. Any
confidentiality or
privilege is not waived or lost by reason of mistaken delivery to you.
This entity is not responsible for any information not related to the business
of this entity. If you
received this e-mail in error please destroy the original and notify the sender.

  Ratio, enim, nisi judex universalis esse deberet, frustra singulis datur.

  [ _Quaestiones Naturales_, Adelard of Bath ]

Signora granda, testa che massa
massa ne passa, che quasi schissa,
Dia dei sostegni de cese e palassi
Dia de le taje che su ne tien fissi
Dia de le onde che le ne fa grassi,
ne ingrassa de ogni grassia, Dia Venessia -

aàh Venessia aàh Venàssia aàh Venùsia

Andrea Zanzotto, Filò, (Sezione: Recitativo Veneziano)