(no subject)

  • From: "palma@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <palma@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bev Hogue <hogueb@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, colloquium@xxxxxxxxxx, David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx, Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>, evolutionary-psychology@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Franz Huber <Franz.Huber@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, lit-ideas-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, oanderson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Orion Anderson <libraryofsocialscience@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, phiddlosop@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>, wokshevs@xxxxxx, lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2008 19:23:18 -0400 (EDT)

I would suggest for those interested to watch (it is easy and web based)
on blogging heads the "semnar" with Sayre Mc Cord G (june 2008) on the
theme of the analogy between morality and mathematics

On Tue, 17 Jun 2008
wokshevs@xxxxxx wrote:

> A very fine, clarifying account provided by Donal below, imo. The same issue
> that Donal arrives at regarding mathematical knowledge is also an issue in
> moral knowledge. In *Truth and Justification*, Habermas discounts realism in
> the moral realm and goes the anti-realist route. (Moral judgements are
> justification-immanent, not justification-transcendent like truth.)  And yet,
> he grants that justifiable validity claims to moral rightness - i.e., those
> upon which we can agree as to their generalizability (not "universalizability"
> a la Kant) under idealized epistemic conditions of symmetry and reciprocity
> -possess both a moment of construction and one of discovery. Our understanding
> of math may not be all that dissimilar from our understanding of morality. I
> hazard the guess that Habermas would admit moral knowledge into Popper's
> "World
> Three," on the assumption that Donal's reconstruction of Popper is accurate.
> Its
> moral inhabitants include all actual and possible moral judgements that
> satisfy
> epistemic conditions of generalizability as established within discourse.
>
> Thanks to Donal for some fine informative philosophizing here.
>
> Walter O.
> MUN
>

> Quoting Donal McEvoy <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx>:
>

> > --- On Sun, 15/6/08, wokshevs@xxxxxx <wokshevs@xxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > > Almost makes perfect sense to me. The fact that I don't
> > > know the constituents of
> > > DNA does not entail there is no objective knowledge of DNA.
> > > The harder part is
> > > generalizing my ignorance across all cognitive beings,
> > > past, present and
> > > future. In what sense would "knowledge" of DNA
> > > "exist" in such circumstances?
> > > Surely only as a possibility. And is possible objective
> > > knowledge really
> > > objective "knowledge?"
> >
> > The most important of these interesting comments is, to me, "Surely only as
> > possibility".
> >
> > While one might devil's advocate Popper's views ad nauseum (and his views
> > are, of course, worth this), a central problem is to address the existence
> > of
> > "objective knowledge" along a scale from 'actualised' knowledge [e.g.
> > 'knowledge' (or theories) we have reason to believe were, or have been,
> > encoded in W1 or 'thunk' in W2] to "objective knowledge" whose 'reality' is
> > not (as yet?) encoded on W1 or W2 and so, for example, is, at best,
> > something
> > that exists in "W3.3" [i.e. the realm of "objective knowledge" that has so
> > far not been encoded in W1 or W2 in any way, and in this sense has never
> > been
> > "actualised" by humans].
> >
> > We might then ask of this "W3.3" - is all of it humanly accessible i.e.
> > capable - at least potentially - of being "actualised" by humans? Even
> [...]

off address: #201 West Building
box 90743, Durham, NC 27708
home ph#: [1] 9196881856
cellph#: [1[] 9195997065 (voicemail is available on said numbers)
email palma@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx