[lit-ideas] Re: [lit-ideas] Re: [lit-ideas] Re: [lit-ideas] Le Pesa nteur et la Gr âce

  • From: Michael Chase <goya@xxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 10:59:04 -0700

Le 11 ao=FBt 04, =E0 11:32, Mike Geary a =E9crit :

> I wish you guys would restate your initial positions.  I know that's=20=

> asking
> a lot and I should have been paying attention earlier, and no I'm=20
> going to
> go dig it up in the archives.  I THINK Paul is saying that attempts to
> popularize the ideas of quantum physics through comparisons to=20
> popularized
> notions of Taoism yield neither good Taoism nor good science.  I think=20=

> Mike
> is saying who the hell is Paul to tell us what's real and what is not.=20=

> could be wrong, and in fact I probably am, but that's what it sounds=20=

> like
> and I'd like know if that is so.

M.C. Yeah, that's about it as far as I'm concerned. But not just Paul:=20=

by what rights does *anybody* prescribe to us what reality is? The best=20=

writers on physics remind us constantly that what they're proposing are=20=

mere hypotheses, which might very well be proved wrong by further=20
scientific developments. Hell, if Newton and Einstein can be wrong,=20
where's the shame?

        What I object to is dogmatism, of any variety.

        Best, the other Mike.

Michael Chase
(goya@xxxxxxxxxxx)
CNRS UPR 76