[lit-ideas] Le Pesa nteur et la Gr âce

  • From: Paul Stone <pas@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 07 Aug 2004 14:41:55 -0400

At 11:58 PM 8/6/2004, you wrote:
>I don't think Weil totally bought into Aristotelian laws -- excluded  middle,
>non-contradiction, etc.  She had too much eastern philo under her  belt.  God
>she would have loved quantum physics.

Okay, here's some more from this ass-speaking scientits (SIC for JLS)

I think it was Feynman who said "anyone who says he understands Quantum
Physics, doesn't." The whole "eastern mysticism" link to what is now known
as physics was probably initially popularized by Fritjof Capra's "Tao of
Physics" and a lot of other guys who ran with THAT ball ("Dancing Wu Li
Masters" by Gary  Zukav and most recently Brian Greene's "Elegant Universe"
and "The Fabric of the Cosmos" come to mind). But this attempted bridging
of the gap between Western Philsophy and Eastern Mysticism has basically
proven exactly the opposite of what Julie said "Because it turns ontology
and epistemology on their ears." If'n it's right in any way! Anyone can
make up a theory that is controversial and ground-breaking and stands stuff
on its head, but unless it has any semblance of truth in reality, who gives
a rat's tuchus? [let's have a 12 day discussion on the transliteration of
THAT word now okay?]. I might as well be listening to a comedian tell
jokes. At least his product is funny.

The problem is that there is absolutely no proof at all for any of this
'nonsense' (not my words) and many "real" [traditional, maybe even stodgy,
blinkered philistines -- for Mike] scientists call it what it is: fluff.
It's a nice notion and I'm sure Weil WOULD have loved what most people
THINK is "quantum physics" but she would never have got near anything
approaching understanding any of it because she wouldn't have wanted to.
And that's grand. I would love string theory to be 'right', but I'm not
betting the farm.

I know I'm making about as much sense as Susan Sontag without her morning
espresso, but it's Saturday and my camping trip got cancelled so I'm
recreating in other more interactive ways -- communing with unature.

I remain, unhumbly, a bored traditionalist with absolutely no understanding
of anything
Now, is ANYONE going to answer my question about Doug Rushkoff?