[lit-ideas] Re: lit gr8s

  • From: Judy Evans <judithevans1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 01:10:48 +0000

Thursday, November 17, 2005, 10:28:14 PM, Robert Paul wrote:

RP> The population is aging (or part of it is),

and an increasing number of people get RSI (and texting adds to their
number)

RP> yet keypads and screens are
RP> getting smaller.

Yes.  Apparently a Sidekick too is one answer (very old technology
though, particularly for Europe), refusing to textm the other.

RP> It occurred to me, in an Einsteinian moment, that a
RP> fortune could be made by producing LARGER keypads for older folk, of
RP> whom there would soon be billions.

PDA +optional keyboard!  see HP's site.  (They aren't the only
manufacturer)

RP> I was explaining this to my son last
RP> summer. He whipped out a device about the size of an old British
RP> shilling, and said to it 'Sally's* cell phone.' Whereupon, it began to
RP> 'dial' the cell phone in question.

because he'd taught it "'Sally's' cell 'phone".  Good voice software
knows how you'll say Sally (etc.) but that won't be on such devices
for quite a while yet.

RP> I'm still looking for the next buzzworthy thing.

I'm loafing around behind it all, without an mp3 player etc.

--
Judy Evans, Cardiff, UK

                           mailto:judithevans1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx