[lit-ideas] Re: le E-mail test

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2005 15:20:26 -0500

David slaps his glove in our face:

Respond, in fifty words or less, to *one* of the following prompts.

b) Into the pit-mirk nicht we northwart sail
  Facing the bleffarts and the gurly seas.
  (J.K. Annand)

'Bleffarts', sure, them's fart winds, but 'gurly seas'? Reminds me of a sailor I once knew. Name was Copper Casing. He never suckled but of beer. Swore on his mother's grave he'd get even with God for leaving him an orphan at age of 52. Peg-legged and tatooed and one hand a hook, he'd tell me over and over again down at Old Zarathustra's while plying the draughty seas how he once mistook a Coast Guardsman boarding his boat for an Islamic Terrorist and jumped overboard only to sink like an anchor, iron hand first. He settled upside down and running out of breath. Just then she came to him out of the flurry deep. A gurly girl, just like one of those in his girle magazines. She shimmied as she passed and he forgot that he was anchored and took off after her. And he would have caught up to her had he not lost sight of her when she broke water. He followed her up, but in the clear air, she turned and laughed then splashed back into the sea. Copper, on the other hand, found himself unable to turn or laugh, found himself rather entangled in a fishnet and being lifted aboard a boat, he could only imagine what might have been. Oh well, he decided, she probably doesn't like poetry anyway.

If you discount all the repeated words, is that less than 50?

Mike Geary
Memphis