[lit-ideas] Re: Public university (maybe) going private

  • From: Robert Paul <robert.paul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2005 13:43:44 -0700

Eternitytime1@xxxxxxx wrote:

So, what are the pros and cons of a university system currently funded by the general public to become a private entity. Is it really such a poor idea or is it that those who sent out this note are just afraid of what might happen to them personally.

A school can become private without becoming 'for profit.' From what you've reported, it sounds as if the local 'business people' want to take over UMKC and run it at a profit. If this were done I can pretty much guarantee you that it will not offer studies in classics, philosophy, most foreign languages, art, etc. I can also predict that its natural sciences programs would become jokes because few people in those fields would want to teach in a university run by the Chamber of Commerce.

Robert Paul
The Reed Institute