[lit-ideas] Public university (maybe) going private

  • From: Eternitytime1@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2005 15:48:07 EDT

Hi,
So, what are the pros and cons of a university system currently funded by
the general public to become a private entity.  Is it really such a poor  idea
or is it that those who sent out this note are just afraid of what might
happen to them personally.

My vague thoughts have more to do with the thought that there was some time
ago a problem with how powerful the research divisions were going in terms of
influence--there is a lot of research being spent in KC right now and with
the  potential for continued stipulations on how and what sort of research
might
be  done if an insitution takes federal funds, I am thinking that this has
something  to do with those fears perhaps being what (really) instigated this
report  and desire.   (esp by the 'business community' which wants  cutting
edge
biomedical research to be done in KC )   But, I do not  know for sure...

Any thoughts would be welcome.  Hearings are set for next week, I  believe,
so it it is a timely issue here in my world.

Best,
Marlena in Missouri

 The AAUP chapter at UMKC is appealing for your help
> (if you  are on several lists, apologies for multiple mailings).
>
>  Since April a so-called "Blue Ribbon Task Force" has been at work
>  "evaluating" the University of Missouri at Kansas City, a public
institution
> belonging to the four-campus University of  Missouri system.  Commissioned
by
> business interests outside  the university, the Task Force is chaired by
Benno Schmidt, who has  made a career and a personal fortune privatizing public

education.  The Task Force has strongly suggested in  public statements its
intention to recommend removing UMKC
> from the  University of Missouri system.  Given Schmidt's track  record,
there is a high likelihood that the Task Force will also  recommend partial or
full privatization. Other Task Force members are  on record in support of an
autocratic model of university  governance.  The Task Force is an instrument of
certain  local businesses hoping to take control of UMKC and profit by
reorganization of the university.

> Faculty and student  organizations as well as administrators have already
expressed public  opposition to the possibility of a corporate takeover.
Please  join them by raising your voice against the dismemberment of  the
University of Missouri System, the isolation of
> UMKC, its  downgrading to an underfunded, third rank institution, and  the
erection of financial barriers shutting out low income people and  communities
of color from higher
> education.
>
> The  future of UMKC and of public higher education in Missouri is squarely
on
> the line, and the direction it takes will impact everyone:  faculty,
students, staff, administrators, alumni, retirees, and the  public at large.

> We need as many voices as possible to counteract the powerful  backers of
the
> Task Force and the extensive public  relations apparatus it has mobilized to
> sell its agenda to the  public.  The plans for a corporate takeover of UMKC
> are on  fast track, and we must start to build a large response now.   The
first wave of letters must be sent before the Task Force delivers  its
"preliminary report" on June 24.

> Please do the  following:

etc etc.

> So that the AAUP chapter can  tabulate public
> please send a message  to the web manager of the AAUP
> site
> (_brodskyd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
(http://us.f324.mail.yahoo.com/ym/Compose?To=brodskyd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx&YY=46755&order=down&sort=date&pos=0&view=a&head=b)
 )
stating the number of
>  people you have contacted.
> If it is everyone on the list, just write  "ALL."
>
> For more information please see the BACKGROUND
>  STATEMENT below, which
> includes links to more extensive sources  with
> docmentation.
>
> Thank you very much for your  support.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Patricia Brodsky
>  Professor of Foreign Languages
> President, AAUP chapter at UMKC

BACKGROUND STATEMENT

See THE FACULTY ADVOCATE (May  2005) for in-depth reports on these issues
(_http://cas.umkc.edu/aaup/facadv18.htm_
(http://cas.umkc.edu/aaup/facadv18.htm) ).

In  April the UMKC Trustees, a non-profit support group for the  university
without any legal role in running the  institution, announced its endorsement
of a Blue Ribbon Task  Force.  The Task Force was commissioned by the Greater
Kansas  City Community Foundation, a local non-profit that manages  and
distributes private donations to civic projects.

The Task  Force held some meetings with local groups, including faculty  at
UMKC.  Its stated purpose is "to conduct a ... study of UMKC  as an urban
university."  But a number of facts indicate that  it is not what it claims to
be,
a helpful and well-intentioned effort  to
improve the university.

No one at UMKC or in the University of Missouri system asked for a  study of
the institution.  All members of the Task Force  are outsiders with no
significant local knowledge and  experience.  And the Task Force bypasses UMKC
and
the UM system  by addressing its report principally to outsiders.

Benno  Schmidt, the chair of the Task Force and its main spokesperson, has  a
dubious track record.  Schmidt is Chairman of the Board for  the Edison
Schools corporation, which privatizes public schools and  school systems.
Edison
has consistently lost money, and  parents' groups at Edison schools around the
country are demanding a  return to public education for their children.  In
Kansas City, a  school board official
of the Westport Charter School called Edison  an "'out-of-state,
out-of-touch' management company."

As of 2005 at least ten class action suits had been filed  against Edison,
including for civil rights violations and failure  to provide a free and
adequate education.  Edison was fined by  the US Department of Education's
Office of
Civil Rights for "failing  to provide legally required classroom help for a
disabled  child."

Schmidt and Edison founder Christopher  Whittle received salaries of close to
$300,000 in 1999, while  operating costs were one and a half times as high as
income.   Edison used "'aggressive bookkeeping' ...  to inflate stock  prices
while hiding huge losses ...  Edison officers have enjoyed  windfalls in the
tens of millions of dollars."  By 2002 Edison  shares
had dropped 98%, and Edison had been accused by the SEC of  misleading
investors.  For these and other reasons, Edison has  been called "Education's
Enron."

Schmidt plays a similar role  in higher education.  In New York City he was
head of an Advisory  Task Force on the City University of New York and
principal author of  its controversial "study" of CUNY.  As Chair of the CUNY
Board of
 Trustees, his job has been to privatize parts of the CUNY system and  end
the school's traditional commitment to
accessible education  for lower income New Yorkers.

Schmidt is not a figure to  be taken lightly.  He has powerful connections
with Governor  Pataki of New York and former Mayor Giuliani of New York City,
who  appointed him to his positions.  They are both potential  presidential
candidates.

The Task Force report will be  delivered to the Missouri Government Review
Commission (MGRC), a  process rife with conflict of interest.  Warren K.
Erdman,
a  Kansas City power broker who serves on many corporate boards, is both  a
member of the UMKC Board of Trustees and Co-Chair of  MGRC.

In Kansas City the main support for the Blue  Ribbon Task Force comes from
certain local business interests who sit  on the UMKC Board of Trustees.  The
Kansas City business press,  which speaks for these interests, recommended
eliminating the office  of President of the UM system and the Board of
Curators,
who legally  govern the four campuses according to the Constitution of the
State
of  Missouri.

The Task Force has publicly recommended  removing UMKC from the University of
Missouri system.  Its  rationale is "local control," which it further claims
will promote  "excellence."  But it carefully avoids the question of who would
 have decisive influence on university policy.  In fact, control  of UMKC
would pass into the hands of local business
interests who  back the Task Force and plan to benefit from the
"localization" (read  "privatization") of the institution.

The Task Force also  carefully avoids the question of funding, that is, what
sources would  replace state support of the university.  This major  omission
indicates how irresponsible its forecasts of "excellence"  are.  Its vague
promises of increased investment by local  businesses are pure fantasy.  No
consortium of local businesses  could afford, or
would agree, to provide the same level of support  as the state of Missouri
currently does.

Most of the  funding, then, would have to come from two sources: increases
in Kansas City regional taxes and higher tuition.

Since  the Task Force is proposing a plan for the greater Kansas City
region, tax increases would affect not only western Missouri taxpayers  but
possibly
those in eastern Kansas as well.  But because the  UM system saves money by
sharing resources among its four   purses, UMKC would cost more to run as a
stand-alone institution than  as part of the UM
system.  Thus regional tax increases would  very likely be considerable.

Since taxes could not make up the shortfall  by themselves, tuition would
also rise dramatically.  But further  increases on top of recent tuition hikes
would make a college  education unaffordable for a large proportion of the
students UMKC is  mandated to serve, lower income people and communities of
color.
 If they are shut out of higher education,
their futures will  be less than promising.

But even with higher taxes and tuition, UMKC would remain  underfunded, and
underfunded institutions are the opposite  of "excellent."  Salaries would
stagnate, good faculty and  administrators would be driven away or not even
apply for jobs,  workloads would increase and working conditions deteriorate
for  all employees, teaching and other positions as well as academic  programs
would be eliminated (including tenured  faculty), particularly those in
non-lucrative disciplines that teach  critical thinking, professionally trained
faculty would be replaced,  if at all, with
underpaid part-timers, and the quality of  education would sink, thus harming
the students.

Add to  underfunding the autocratic management model recommended in a book
by two Task Force members--thus ending shared governance, academic  freedom,
due process, and probably tenure also--and we have a recipe  for downgrading
UMKC to a diploma mill.  Even retirees would  suffer.

Removal of UMKC from the UM system might involve removal of the  pension plan
from the four campus retirement system as well.   Employee retirement
benefits would be reduced
(smaller pool) and,  if privatized, very likely endangered a la Enron.  The
Florida  retirement system is already endangered as principal owner of  Edison
Schools corporation.

In the first half of May the  FACULTY ADVOCATE, newsletter of the AAUP
chapter at UMKC, published  exposes of the Task Force and its agenda and urged
widespread  opposition.  UM system President Floyd stated that he rejected  the
idea of removing UMKC from the UM system.  And the UM  System Intercampus
Student Council issued a press release opposing  privatization and
dismemberment of
the UM system. UMKC as a public  institution serves all of the people of
Missouri and specifically  those in the Kansas City region.  As part of the UM
system,  it benefits from uniformly high academic standards,
accessibility  for all qualified applicants, affordability, the prestige of a
 University of
Missouri degree, a wide choice of academic  programs distributed among four
campuses, and easier student transfers  between campuses and programs.  These
are some of the reasons why  it is in everyone's interest to keep UMKC public.