[lit-ideas] Re: his master (narrative's) voice

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2006 18:25:22 EDT

I don't know.....I have a cassette (obviously purchased a couple decades
ago) of Cummings reading his poetry.  He's rather stilted and I found them
much
less pleasing to the ear than to the eye.  Maybe it's just me.

Julie Krueger

========Original  Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] his master
(narrative's) voice  Date: 10/15/2006 3:04:20 P.M. Central Standard Time  From:
_eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)   To:
_lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)   Sent on:
I strongly recommend listening to a poet read his  or her
work. One gets a better sense of their breath-line and
emphasis,  and it can open up new appreciation. Hearing a
poet's voice is also a form of  biographical information.

In the case of Merwin, there's a Caedmon  recording of him
reading early poems. The little poem below, in his  reading,
completely springs to life:

Dusk in Winter

The sun  sets in the cold without friends
Without reproaches after all it has done for  us
It goes down believing in nothing
When it has gone I hear the stream  running after it
It has brought its flute it is a long way

-W.S.  Merwin,  Dusk in Winter,  1952.