[lit-ideas] Re: gossip?

  • From: "Cassidy Dann" <cassidy_dann@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 03:59:24 -0500

Gossip, scandal, and the closely related topic of joking behavior have
been topics studied by anthropologists for at least several decades.
In my feeble memory (I haven't looked at this literature for years),
gossip is usually treated either as a basic form of social interaction
or a mechanism of social control, fear of what people will say being
very widespread, indeed, as a way to keep people in line.

Yes, that would make sense.

Here is an interesting study (commissioned by a telecom company, naturally) of gossip and the implications for gossip of the mobile phone:

http://www.sirc.org/publik/gossip.shtml

"Gossip is the human equivalent of 'social grooming' among primates, which has been shown to stimulate production of endorphins, relieving stress and boosting the immune system. Two-thirds of all human conversation is gossip, because this 'vocal grooming' is essential to our social, psychological and physical well-being. Mobiles facilitate gossip. Mobiles have increased and enhanced this vital therapeutic activity, by allowing us to gossip 'anytime, anyplace, anywhere' and to text as well as talk. Mobile gossip is an effective and important new stress-buster."

The study claims all types of gossip are beneficial, even negative gossip:

"Benefits of negative gossip. Only about five per cent of gossip-time is devoted to criticism and negative evaluation of others - but this 'negative gossip' has clear social benefits in terms of rule-learning and social bonding."

The study also found that men gossip just as much as women.

Speaking of gossip and technology, maybe we could say that blogs are the mechanism that take gossip from the local to the global level.

Sincerely, Cassidy Dann
Rappahannock, VA