[lit-ideas] Re: The Problem of Evil

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 04:15:21 EST

How did saxophones get on that list?

Julie Krueger
who loves a good jazz sax riff

========Original  Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: The Problem of
Evil  Date: 3/9/06 11:11:15 P.M. Central Standard Time  From:
_eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)   To:
_lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
A little research gave me this. In _Dialogues
Concerning Natural Religion_, David Hume maintains
that we cannot say  for sure that the world was
created by perfect good or by perfect evil. As  far
as theology goes, he seems to be saying that the
Devil, God's  Prosecutor in Job, may have had a
hand in the design.

There may "four" hypotheses be framed
concerning the first  causes of
the universe: that they are endowed with
perfect goodness, that
they are endowed with perfect  malice, that
they are opposite and
have both goodness  and malice, that they have
neither goodness nor
malice. Mixed phenomena can never prove the
two former unmixed
principles. And the uniformity and steadiness
of general laws  seems
to oppose the third. The fourth, therefore,
seems be far the most
probable.

(Part  XI)

The Devil has some obvious contributions, to be
sure: my chili,  saxophones, collapsible
push-scooters for adults, chocolate egg cream,
flavored rum, bathroom scales, door-close buttons
in elevators, TBS,  musical birthday cards, films
by M. Night Shyamalan, the Comet Cursor, and  so  on.