[lit-ideas] gossip?

  • From: "Cassidy Dann" <cassidy_dann@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2006 11:01:53 -0500

I had a conversation with a group of friends about gossip. What is gossip based on? Intuition, speculation, innuendo. Envy? Some took the high road and said gossip was unhealthy, undignified, a blight in all circumstances. Others said it was OK, sometimes, in moderation. One person said gossip plays a vital role in building community, solidarity. Another said, if you want to go places, to both be and appear clued-in in the workplace, you had better be indulging. The last person made me think and said, we gossip on many levels -- the workplace level, the national level, the international level.

The national level? The international level? Do we really? Your thoughts appreciated.

Sincerely, Cassidy Dann
Rappahannock, VA