[lit-ideas] Re: a million little pieces

  • From: Eric Yost <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 23:42:53 -0500

Mike: But still, I'd say that probably the most open-minded people I've ever met were through AA.

Eric: That's not my experience, but I'm glad it's yours. The fellowship people I've met were egotists with low self-esteem. All kinds of radioactive waste in those psyches. But it did seem that going to meetings kept those people from becoming worse than they were.

However, if by open-minded, you mean tolerant, that may be. Someone told me this joke:

An alcoholic goes through the steps up to the point where he has to make a ruthless personal inventory, listing all his faults. He goes to his sponsor and says he has trouble discussing some of the things he did, things he is deeply ashamed of, can't share.

"What?" asks the sponsor.

The alcoholic finally musters courage to say it: "Once when I was very drunk ... I had sex with a chicken."

"Oh," says the sponsor, "did yours die too?"