[lit-ideas] Re: You don't say.....

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 17:01:20 -0500

Paul Stone:
> 3) I had a furnace problem last September and had to call an HVAC dude
> (are
> you listening MIKE?) to come and do some work. After futzing around for 3
> hours, he had the problem licked. Just as he was writing up the bill, his
> cell-phone rang and he sat on the steps of MY house talking about someone
> else's job for 12 minutes. After he hung up, he looked at his watch and
> filled in his hours. At 80 dollars an hour, he over-charged me a full 15
> minutes which is 20 dollars of MY money. Now, I complained and got him to
> reduce his bill, but it's the principle of the thing.

Bitch, bitch, bitch.  If it had been me I would have thanked you profusely
for pointing out the error.  Then I'd have scratched out the twelve minutes,
re-computed the bill at $100 an hour -- the new rate!!  And thanked you
again.

He was obviously not a very good technician if he could only get 3 hours out
of a service call.  And you're telling me he fixed it without selling you a
new $500 heat exchanger that if you didn't replace that day would probably
kill you that night with carbon monoxide -- the silent, scentless killer?
He's a discredit to the profession.

In fact I often get calls from people who've been told that they need a new
compressor or heat exchanger or a whole new system.  They're embarrassed to
admit they want a second opinion as if I might take it as a slight against
my trade.  More often than I'd like to admit, the first company was either
wrong or was lying.  It's possible, of course, to misdiagnose a problem, but
I've seen cases where there was simply no freon in the unit and the AC guy
told them they need a new compressor.  $1000 please instead of $200.  Nice
work if you can get it.

BTW, I charge $65 an hour US, that's $80.45 Canadian according to my
calculator.   Gas is getting so expensive that I'm seriously thinking of
raising my rates to $68 soon ($84.52 Canadian) and I'll still be $3 or $4
under the big boys.  You don't have to pay it, you know.  You can always
choose to be hot or cold as the case may be.  I always apologize when I give
a bill to someone.  Christ, I wouldn't pay that, I keep thinking.  But they
always do, and gladly.  So strange.

Your complaint about business ethics and Phil's Amen, seem short-sighted to
me.  Why not celebrate it as the triumph of Capitalism that it is.

Mike Geary
Atlas Air Conditioning Company
Strongest in Knowledge
    Strongest in Service