[lit-ideas] Re: Willie Pete

  • From: "Phil Enns" <phil.enns@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 12:54:52 -0500

Ursula Stange wrote:

"As for your comment in another post, I suspect none on this list would be
out killing other Canadians or Americans, but enough others would.  Look how
much American on American violence there is even without an insurgency for
cover.  Look how quickly any excuse for mob violence escalates.  Many there
are who would welcome such a free-for-all.  This is not just something
'others' would do."

I agree.  I did not mean to suggest anything regarding the character of
Iraqis or Americans.  I was only speaking to what I hoped would be the case
for myself.

As to the comparison with Tito, from the little I know, I don't think it is
apt.  As I understand, Tito attempted to stand above the various divisions
within Yugoslavia.  This is in contrast to Saddam who very much identified
with one group, to their advantage and to the resentment of the others.  In
other words, the violence was not submerged but institutionalized.

Sincerely,

Phil Enns
Toronto, ON