[lit-ideas] Re: Why are the greatest composers all German?

  • From: Eric Yost <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2006 01:16:06 -0400

>>William Duckworth's 24-piece piano cycle, "The Time Curve Preludes."

Chris wrote: "Before I order it 'to look at' (such things are generally not inexpensive), I'd like to know: will I also as an 'intermediate' amateur pianist be able to *play* (at least some of) it?"

Sure, Duckworth's not Kaikhosru Sorabji and the pieces aren't the Liszt études d'exécution transcendante in the second version. If you can play Satie's Gnossiennes, you can bring these off.

"Time Curve Preludes" is a very old composition, from 1979 or 1980. They are modal, dronish, short, multigenre, and of varying mood. Though he often works by systematically reducing the musical material, right and left hand usually end together.