[lit-ideas] Re: Why are the greatest composers all German?

  • From: Carol Kirschenbaum <carolkir@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 14:59:59 -0700

> Come now. Is this a verbal argument ('pop=superficial' etc.)? Surely there
> is
> 'popular' music with depth - how about Beatles' 'A Day In The Life', ...

ck: Andreas's post talks to this list of old icons. More recently (but not
much) Brazilians like Nascimento have distinguished their music from popular
melancholia. Not that I dislike pop melancholia, or Miles Davis's album
_Kind of Blue_. But melancholy is the most easily accessed emotion of depth.
Rammstein digs deeper, into grief (not mere "regret'), and beyond rage into
something more disturbing and complex that belongs more to Beethoven and
Mahler than to U-2.

And I LIKE U-2! This is not a discussion about likes and dislikes in pop or
classical music. I love Jobim, and I adore folksy Arabic music. But few
artists enter the land of awe, and when they do, it's miraculous. Not always
likable, however.
Carol