[lit-ideas] Re: Why are the greatest composers all German?

  • From: Carol Kirschenbaum <carolkir@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 23:47:59 -0700

>> Rammstein.
> In comparison, American music is decorative.

ck: That's often the case, which is why so many German composers are
extraordinary, even today. You'd think that with Rammstein's international
success, more musicans (even American) would dare take on weighty themes and
yes, write and perform music that is more than merely decorative. Many
cultures seem not to possess the depth, however. Brazilian music, for one,
is delightfully melodious, but attempts at depth? I haven't heard anything
close to Rammstein's profundity on the pop scene.
Carol