[lit-ideas] Who is the philosopher, and who is the poet?

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Jun 2008 14:50:48 -0700

In reading Robert's note (included below), I recalled something said by
Schopenhauer, something to the effect that no teacher ever became a
philosopher.  Of course his statement was not taken terribly seriously.  He
had Hegel in mind if memory serves me.  He hated Hegel.  But he has a bit of
a point.  There is a difference between doing philosophy and discussing or
teaching the philosophy of someone who has done philosophy in the past.  I
may be misreading Robert, but his brief seems to be that of Alan Bloom
rather than of someone wishing to "do philosophy."  Bloom in his The Closing
of the American Mind bemoaned the loss of the Classics.  It used to be that
everyone who was educated embraced "the classics."  This was a body of
literature (including philosophy) that educated people held in common.  But
when it became politically correct to abandon merit in favor of something
else like minority rights, the American Mind became closed.

Is not Robert saying something like that?  "Once, for example, it was
possible to discuss specific passages from the Tractatus, with law
professors at Northwestern, Eric Dean, and others; Hume (and sometimes
Popper) with Donal; Kant with Walter and Phil; contemporary British
philosophy with JL (and so on, I want to say, in order to disguise my
failing memory). As far as I can see we have lost the ability and the
collegial politeness to tolerate such discussions."

I looked in Robert's comments for something that implied "doing philosophy"
and found, "What is it that motivates you to pursue and promote this
discipline?  Walter asks.   My own answers are modest: I enjoy the 'distinct
form of inquiry and analysis,' and I believe deeply that someone who takes
philosophy seriously, even without committing his or her life to it, will be
drawn to think, however briefly, however confusedly, about a way of life, in
that old Greek sense; about how one should live. Fine words."

So what is "this discipline"?  A given philosopher's philosophy might
involve a "discipline," but doesn't Robert mean the "study of philosophy"
rather than the practice of doing of philosophy?  The study is a discipline,
the doing is out there beyond the edge where there are no rules and can be
no discipline.  And if we are concerned about the embracing of the study,
the dwelling upon what the great minds of the past have written, aren't we
in Bloom country?

And perhaps I was drawn to write as I did in this note because I was unhappy
with the way we left the matter of literature.  Literature seemed to be the
same sort of thing as philosophy in Robert's note, the study of Hawthorne or
Eliot or Stevens.  What if someone wrote something and posted it here on
Lit-Ideas and what it if was as good as something written by Nathaniel
Hawthorne or T. S. Eliot or Wallace Stevens.  Would those who are members
here recognize it for what it is and acclaim it?  Or would it be beyond them
because it isn't Nathaniel Hawthorne or T.S. Eliot or Wallace Stevens?

The doing of literature has greater value than the knowing of the literature
created by someone in the past - assuming reasonable levels of competence.
I don't know if the same thing can be said about philosophy.  Does anyone
"do" philosophy today?  Lots of people on the other hand "do literature."
I'm not referring here to writers who are self-deceived, who fancy they are
better than they really are.   I've read a lot of it and there is quite a
lot that is pretty good, well worth doing whether or not it quite measures
up to Hawthorne or Eliot or Stevens.

I recall the note of Paul Stone mildly bemoaning the lack of literature on
lit-ideas much as Robert Paul bemoans the lack of philosophy, but I wonder
what David Ritchie, Mike Geary and a few others thought of Stone's comment.
I have the impression that if Ritchie and Geary upped their production
ten-fold that still wouldn't satisfy Stone, that he didn't have the "doing
of literature" in mind when he wrote but the "discipline," the study of past
"doers of literature."    And that he too is living in Bloom Country.

Lawrence Helm

San Jacinto (not just Bloom country)