[lit-ideas] Re: Where There's a Will There's a Won't

  • From: Eric Yost <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2006 15:22:15 -0400

I was close to the number on troop strength. We had 89 Army divisions in World War II. That was just our army...

http://www.militaryhistoryonline.com/wwii/usarmy/manpower.aspx
In late 1944 a severe problem in the U.S. Army in general was the manpower shortage. Plans to expand the Army to 213 divisions were never met and it was proving difficult to maintain the 89 divisions then in existence - even though almost one-quarter of them had yet to see combat.