[lit-ideas] Re: Where There's a Will There's a Way (Pun Intended)

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2006 09:42:59 -0700

I am not persuaded Democrats will have a field day.

Dispatching a carrier group to Iran seems to me a Macciavellian move. If you want to signal to the Iranians that you are serious, you give them a peek at your weapons. And if one of your carrier force should suffer attack of any sort, you have a cause for war. Meanwhile, domestic supporters see you as unwavering and just the sort of person to lead a country in difficult times.

As for the Foley matter, stand by for talk of "a few bad apples" and "staying the course by standing tall in the current crisis." Republican voters believe that "flip-flop" is a dreadful insult and value loyalty highly. The Democrats' task will be to prove *to them* that the barrel is rotten to the core, or that threatening Iran is a bad idea. Meanwhile, there's a war on and folk wisdom says you shouldn't change horses in mid-stream.

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon