[lit-ideas] Re: When you're hot you're hot, when you're not ...

  • From: palma <palma@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 7 Sep 2009 11:57:23 -0400 (EDT)

see appiah for reflectiosn not unreasonable on the topic

On Sun, 6 Sep 2009, Eric Yost wrote:

I wrote: I don't really know what makes for that "authentic" quality of performance. ...but I do know it is a real phenomena in musical performance -- and its existence gives the lie to many relativist claims in aesthetics. It's there and it's the best and the rest are lesser.

Donal replied: Now this reflects my experience as to it being a "real phenomena"; no one who likes the Beatles wants to buy copied versions (that's not strictly true) -my point is that here the copy versions of original material either add or detract (or both) but, whichever, this is all real phenomena. Real as the table as phenomena. This shows to me that while relativist theories might have much to tell us, the right theory of art will have to be "objectivist". "It's there"; what is there may be debatable, but that "It" is real and not subjectivist or relativist illusion.

_____

Recently read Jonah Lehrer's _How We Decide_, a popular survey of the recent cognitive science research on decision-making. One of the big shocks in the book is the empirical refutation of so-called "rational decisions." Apparently people who lose their emotional capacities through trauma are unable to make decisions -- or only make them slowly through torturous Gantt chart-like analysis -- and many of our best decisions are made on the (emotional) level of neurotransmitters. Dopamine says yes and so do we. Of course, a healthy mind is able to overcome the cognitive prejudice toward emotion, knowing when not to trust the hunch, but it seems that our emotional lives are so thoroughly welded to our reasoning that parsing them on an abstract level seems less and less tenable.

Then I found:

Philosophy?s great experiment
David Edmonds and Nigel Warburton
 1st March 2009  ?  Issue 156
Philosophers used to combine conceptual reflections with practical experiment. The trendiest new branch of the discipline, known as x-phi, wants to return to those days. Some philosophers don't like it

http://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/2009/03/philosophysgreatexperiment/

What are the Kantians to do?

Eric

?e ??, ?????e?? ?a?eda?µ?????? ? ? ? ?t? t?de
?e?µe?a, t??? ?e???? ??µas? pe???µe???.
/begin/read__>sig.file: postal address
palma
University of KwaZulu-Natal Philosophy
3rd floor of Memorial Tower Building
Howard College Campus
Durban 4041
South Africa
Tel off: [+27] 031 2601591 (sec: Mrs. Yolanda Hordyk) [+27] 031-2602292
Fax [+27] 031-2603031
mobile 07 62 36 23 91            calling from overseas +[27] 76 2362391
EMAIL: palma@xxxxxxxx
EMAIL: palma@xxxxxxxxxx

MY OFFICE IS A290@Mtb
spring term 2oo9  BEING & KNOWING (meet following module scheule at semiroom of
the last floor of mtbs)

*only when in Europe*: inst. J. Nicod
29 rue d'Ulm
f-75005 paris france
email me for details if needed at palma@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
________
This e-mail message (and attachments) is confidential, and/or privileged and is
intended for the
use of the addressee only. If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail
you must not copy,
distribute, take any action in reliance on it or disclose it to anyone. Any
confidentiality or
privilege is not waived or lost by reason of mistaken delivery to you.
This entity is not responsible for any information not related to the business
of this entity. If you
received this e-mail in error please destroy the original and notify the sender.