[lit-ideas] Re: When you're hot you're hot, when you're not...

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Sep 2009 01:25:48 -0500

RP:
the pitcher who shakes off the
catcher?s signal...may have perfectly rational grounds for doing so.<<

The pitcher may know for instance that the batter is a sucker for high and inside pitches and think that he should throw such, but he may also know that the batter might well be anticipating such a pitch and be prepared to meet it, or the pitcher may also be angry at the club owner and consciously and/or subconsciously wants to punish him with a defeat, or the pitcher may want to impress the Press with his new curve ball or, or, or -- so the pitcher has to decide "rationally" among a swarm of conflicting reasons why he should pitch a certain pitch. I just don't put much faith in rationality. Neither did Bernie Madoff and he made off with billions off irrationality for how many years?? but very irrationally he stayed a day too long in Mississippi. I think the pitcher pitches the pitch he "feels comfortable with". Which comes first, the thought or the comfort?

where the
assumption seems to be that if something is done "instantly," there is
no time for reflection prior to it. And this seems right: I don?t
deliberate before I duck to avoid an object thrown at my head. "No
prior deliberation," however, doesn?t entail "it's feelings all the
way down." I can explain why I ducked: "I thought that paperweight was
going to hit me in the head; I didn't want to be hit in the head; I
thought that ducking would prevent that."<<

I really don't think either rationality or emotions play a part in such scenarios. Your autonomic nervous system did all the deciding. You didn't think that the paperweight was going to hit you in the head until long (in reaction time) after the event. And though you sat around afterwards congratulating yourself on your acumen, all along it was just unconscious, robotic, neural reactions protecting your precious cerebrum and letting it tell itself how smart it was to duck. : )

Also, I don't think the author of "How We Decide" meant that unreflected decisions are "better" than those arising from reflection, but argues that often we are not consciously aware of physical cues, such as, perhaps, the spread of a pitcher's fingers on a ball at the moment of release informing a batter just what and where a hundred mile per hour ball will be in a faction of a second. Piercing concentration and years of attention to detail and (significantly, attention to failure) inform some minds and lead to decisions long before any kind of rationality can ever begin to recognize what's going on. It is the recognition of those cues that triggers the dopamine that tells the mind: "Yes, go for it." Now, I've certainly never had any piercing concentrations unrelated to sex and have seldom paid attention to anything at all, so I can't personally verify his theory.

Just saying,
Mike Geary

----- Original Message ----- From: "Robert Paul" <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>