[lit-ideas] Walls and such

  • From: Torgeir Fjeld <torgeir_fjeld@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2011 22:44:19 +0100 (BST)

"I can't recall," phatic said, "if it was Kafka, or Borges writing about Kafka,
or Foucault writing about Borges writing about Kafka, who described the
construction of the Great Wall of China as a piecemeal, non-linear and
apparently whimsical, organic, and even illogical thing."

"Ok," said I.

"But is a wall something you build to keep something in or out?"

"Dunno," I said.

"Think of the European fortress. Does keep Europeans safe or does keep refugees
out?"

"Hard call," I said.

"Yeah. If I attack my neighbor's house under the pretense of aiding his
children in their resistance to an abusive father, would it not seem
hypocritical of me not to allow them to find shelter in my yard?"

"Possibly," I said.

"Bombs are pretty. Refugees are not."

"Explains it."

"Doesn't it?"