[lit-ideas] Vote Bush if...

  • From: "Didier Agid" <dagid@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2004 14:14:24 +0200

Dear American friends on this list,
Those on Phil-Lit in 2000 will remember I carefully refrained from any
comments on your elections. None of our business here in Europe.
This time, one of the candidates openly stated UN, so imperfect but at least
an effort to work together for peace, counted for peanuts, as did
international rules so painfully obtained.
This same candidate declared your country had a right to any behaviour
(including invasion) regarding any other country, according to unilaterally
decided criterias, thus creating an extremely dangerous precedent.
This same candidate, as your President, promised to make your country and
the whole world safer. Non-Americans have no right to judge wether US is now
safer, but have the right to note the world is far less safe today.
The illegal invasion of Iraq has already caused the death of about 100,000
Iraqis and about 1,000 US soldiers. This 100:1 proportion can only
deteriorate the image of US as a Nation. Iraqi civilians, who had nothing to
do with 9/11 already paid it with 40 deaths for 1 US death in the Towers
(... and gained to be freed from a dictator, but the price, then, is to
enter a long long period of mayhem).
Candidate Bush is in most countries viewed as a fanatic facing the other
fanatic, Bin Laden. Viewing the world through a minority Christian group
("born again evangelists" being less than 10% of Christianity in the world),
against the Pope and many other Christian authorities, he desperately tries
to make the world as simple, simplistic, as he'd dream it to be. He's seen
the light and got out of his addiction problem. His problem. No need to
generalize to the whole planet.
The invasion of Iraq was not only illegal. Support was gained using two main
lies : Saddam's complicity for 9/11 and WMD's. We, outside, had noted lying
was an unforgivable sin for an US President (as set forward for Nixon and
Clinton). Imagine our surprise no impeachment proceedings is even mentioned.
Since 9/11, GWB does exactly what Bin Laden expected him to to : set the
world on fire. Showing his head today does help candidate Bush : voters have
now seen again the face of Satan (without noting how curious Satan is still
well and alive after 3 years).
Is ruining the hopes of all moderates in the Muslim world, is constantly
reducing the number of allies, is ruining the image of US as the greatest
democracy, a good way to fight the war against terrorism ?
You have the ballots, we don't. Be aware that if all democracies in the
world had the ballots, GWB would stand no chance to be reelected.
Most American citizens are patriots, I can't believe the image of their
country in the world counts for nothing.
If ever you hate your country, vote Bush.
Didier Agid