[lit-ideas] Re: Unable to deliver your message

  • From: eternitytime1@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 06 Oct 2007 00:52:19 -0400

Hi,
Here is the post where I first heard of the dealership. From one of the
ecospace consious community sites. Read it some time ago (I think it opened in
September) and then started doing some research. It was one of those
syncronicity things because one of the Student Congress debate topics deals
with a Bill to 'outlaw' gas-powered vehicles. Some interesting articles in
Mechanical Engineering and then about some company in Germany who has been
using fuel cells for eight military organizations to allow for their people to
stay away from the homebase longer, etc. So, we started looking even more into
where the technology was for regular people.

Anyway--was curious.

Best,
Marlena in Missouri
who was thinking of Eric Dean's post about his work world in Phoenix-sounds
like a nice case study for all the leadership programs in various universities
around the country/world.  Has anyone else noticed how many there
are? Sometimes I think it is the anthropology and psychology of 'today' (and
probably more lucrative <g>)  But, what also interested me was thinking of the
people who moved forward in the face of the 'no'. Is this something they do
often or only when they have a good idea?  And what and when does the culture
of a company change to 'fit' the new idea/movement?  John M's response to
Eric's musing about emotions/working through them to the other side was also
interesting. Since that is one of my life lessons (I do believe-theory of the
month, remember?), I often find myself in situations whereby I have to explain
to people how to do that. Related to Eric/John/Irene posts was the thought of
how often I tell people to 'step back from the emotion. Examine it. Let's
figure it out before you react to it."  It's a similar exercise to what John
was talking about, I think. "What happens to your body when you are
experiencing it? Where is the feeling coming from? Is it real or was it a
reaction to something someone else said? Let's define it's origin. Let's figure
out what it is telling you--what is the belief being touched. Let's pull it out
and look at it-for beliefs are different from emotions."  and then we talk
about how to 'soften' the belief (if necessary) or emotion (if necessary).  One
of my periodic card-playing games (okay, not for a while...) is a psychiatrist
and we have often talked about this stuff, too. He says that there are so many
more emotions that most people know--that alot of people think they are feeling
'anger' when it is really something completelyl different. Maybe that is when I
started having people go deeper into defining exactly *which* emotion it was
that was being felt. and on and on go the thoughts...

Electric Cars and Coffee

(Editorial)

Yesterday I dropped into the grand opening of Eco-motion, a self-labeled “earth
friendly” car dealership in the city of Portland.  The new business sells Zap
and Myers electric cars, trucks, motorcycles, and scooters. They also sell used
hybrids and other EPA certified “Smartway” vehicles, or vehicles designated
environmentally superior.

Having seen the documentary "Who Killed the Electric Car?", it is great to see
these battery-powered vehicles coming back on the scene.  The original electric
car customers were very satisfied but the oil companies bribed the car
companies to take them back and crush them!

This car dealership is certainly not an ordinary one; the showroom shares space
with a coffee shop called Hip Drip Café, selling coffee, tea, juice, and Higher
Taste (vegan and vegetarian) burritos.  There are lounge chairs and tables to
sit around at.  So I imagine one would sit around eating and drinking, admiring
the funny looking little electric vehicles, talking about the future of
transportation.

As vehicles go, electric ones conserve energy and reduce pollution because they
are tremendously more efficient than vehicles with oil engines.  They produce
no smelly exhaust fumes, (I speak from a biker’s firsthand experience of
secondhand fumes)! They can produce minimal pollution with renewable energy
options, but either way create much less overall pollution than oil-run
vehicles.  They are also much cheaper on the road; the mileage from $150-200 on
gasoline would require only $10-20 in electricity.

 The little commuter car goes for less than $10,000, reaching speeds of 40-50
mph, while other electric cars are out there ready for the highway hitting 70
mph. There is even an electric sportscar being produced able to hit speeds of
160 mph.

The opening party at this dealership provided free food and corn bioplastic
cups and plates, as each garbage bin posed a sign “Compost your corn
plastics”.  It is hip and profitable for businesses to be eco-conscious, and
there is nothing wrong with that.