[lit-ideas] Re: True Confessions

  • From: Ursula Stange <Ursula@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2005 09:45:42 -0500

I suppose we'll all have to unmask now.
I wonder who Mike really is...
Ursula (or maybe not...)

Andy Amago wrote:

It's clear that most people by now (specifically Mike, Eric, Julie, probably Robert Paul and no doubt most others) have guessed that Andy is very in touch with his feminine side. Yes, he is very in touch. So much so that one might think Andy is either gay, or perhaps even a female. And one would be right. Although Andy is not gay, he is in fact a female. Andy is, in fact, Irene Cassidy of phil lit days. But you all know this. Andy was created because Irene for whatever reason couldn't get on the list following the demise of phil lit. After a long time of being off the list I made the decision to get back on. However, I was afraid that I’d have problems again, so I invented the pseudonym and here I am. In fact, if I hadn't had the problems, it would never have occurred to me to create a pseudonym. I know Larry Kramer has known for a long time because I accidentally sent him an email that was intended for my husband. I thought for sure he would throw me off and I waited with baited breath but instead Larry was gracious enough not to say anything and I thank him.

I want to say that everything Andy has said, done and thought is real out of my life. His physical persona and age are modeled on my husband (except Andy doesn't play racquetball; Andy also is divorced which of course I'm not). I even did copywriting back in the 80's. All of Andy's opinions have been Irene's opinions. Over time Andy even persuaded Irene of some things. War genes, for example. There is something inherently primate-like in humans that keeps us fighting forever. Irene persuaded Andy, however, that war genes are expressed due to the anxiety and insecurity that comes from bad parenting. (War can be eliminated in a couple of generations yes, yes it can.) Likewise, Andy's house is my house and so on and so on.

I have to admit that I liked being Andy. Guys do have it easier in some ways. I liked not having to be nice. I can see why Maryanne Evans and Aurore Dupin took pseudonyms.

I can offer the same sort of apology that Zero Mostel offers at the end of The Producers. I do apologize for misleading people, but at the same time, nobody was hurt by it. And like I said, it was done perforce. It was interesting to learn too that nobody remembered the real Irene. I was the only person on the list both fluent and literate in Russian, yet when Julie inquired who on the former list used to read Russian, only Walter's name was offered. I was both surprised and not surprised.

At any rate, for what it's worth I might even send pictures if I can figure out how to do it and if Andy's husband wants to be bothered uploading them.

Andy/Irene