[lit-ideas] Re: Theoretical question

  • From: "Andreas Ramos" <andreas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 21:03:09 -0800

>>If you could travel through time, where would
you go, and how long would you stay?

Depends whether I was immune to the environment at the time I chose. If so, I would go back to the first second of the universe. If not, I would go forward to the last second. No sense hanging around after the party's over.

I wondered about this. After the first second of the universe, and for quite some time, there was literally nothing to see. The universe was so hot that it hadn't condensed into matter. Later, as it condensed, it took quite some time for it to cool so that light was possible. So, for the first few hundred million years, there was nothing to see.

As for the end of the universe, there will also be nothing to see, since expansion will dissipate the universe. A molecule every few light years.

Here's interesting news about the early universe (incl. first-ever baby pixs of the universe)

http://www.newscientistspace.com/article/dn8862-best-ever-map-of-the-early-universe-revealed.html

yrs, andreas www.andreas.com