[lit-ideas] Re: The new fascism

  • From: Carol Kirschenbaum <carolkir@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 06 Nov 2004 17:20:18 -0800

Hi Marlene,and thank you for responding to my post. I wasn't suggesting that
liberals adopt Republican/Spartan tactics and outdo them, though. Rather,
I'm exploring the ideas--where they come from, and why they're popular--as a
first step. In my opinion, we can't outdo those true believers, and to
attempt that would be a betrayal of our own values--doomed to the deepest
failure. The more Kerry imitated Bush's Christ talk and war talk, the
thinner became the ice on which he stood.

Figure that Bush and his ilk will always out-evangelize the other side. I'm
suggesting that by understand the tenuous link between Bush's Spartan
agenda and his evangelical "base." They're not necessarily natural allies.
Liberals may well be able to expose Bush as not a friend of truly moral
issues. After all, helping those in material need, on this earth, is very
much a part of Jesus's message.

But I also think these issues may be more accessible to us, and more calmly
discussed, if we can manage to address them as they played out between the
Athenians and the Spartans. I'm also suggesting that Karl Rove--a hearty
supporter of Victor Hanson's writings--does just that, on the Spartan side.
Best,
Carol