[lit-ideas] Re: The new fascism

  • From: Eternitytime1@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 6 Nov 2004 19:22:43 EST

In a message dated 11/6/2004 5:03:32 PM Central Standard Time,
atri2715@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
The  fundamentalists step in and provide those values and
people just embrace  them, because nobody wants to feel empty and confused.

Hi,
I was thinking about this.  (Especially as I have been thinking of  what
'religion' provides to and for people...)

I remember 'once upon a time' that there were meetings in libraries (for
example, but other places as well) where people came together in community
settings to discuss varying political topics.  Mostly (at least in
libraryland),
these faded with a rise of churches providing more of the sense of  'community'.

Now, we are seeing, in libraryland, a movement (started many years ago and
is now becoming quite large) for more of the library to become more of a
'community center' again.

Some libraries, like mine, will not have such activities as 'political
discussions' as they are just too much 'work' and potentially too controversial

for some to want to deal with...but others will and are beginning to do  so.

Was thinking of how so many people DO (initially) join churches because of
the sense  of 'community' and support that they receive...(I am thinking  here
of one of the non-fiction best-selling titles/series on the market  today--the
fellow's first book is what all the evangelical churches were  reading/going
through/doing Bible studies for the year before the Billy Graham  Crusade came
to town a couple of weeks ago: The Purpose-Driven Life by Rick  Warren,
pastor of Saddleback Church in Lake Forest, Calif., has spent more than  70
weeks
on The New York Times' best-seller list. ")   The fellow has  also written one
for pastors: The Purpose-Driven Church.  Now, if you  really go through the
formulas he gives, they are kind of scary if you don't  like manipulation.  On
the other hand, there IS a need for people to have  this sense of 'community'
and alot of what they do is simply what any growing  organization which has a
decent hospitality mission is going to do.

(Except that there are few other vehicles for that to happen these
days--remember 'the soccer moms' in the past?  Have any of you ever been
involved in
the sports culture for kids?  It really IS its own  subculture...and almost
evangelical...I remember when soccer was just beginning  to take off in this
country--now?  Everywhere.  But, the other sports  are still thriving, as
well...ever ask why?  NOT just or even because of  the kids.  Because of the
parents.
Ever talk to a family as to why  they are not involved any longer?  Generally
it is because they didn't  connect with the parents...the kids enjoyed
playing [even after they get  older--there are always parks and rec teams even
for
those who don't make the  school teams])   There are team get-togethers,
informal and formal  times of all sorts of gatherings so that the sports faith
can
grow...

I wondered if taking a page from how we do the whole 'hospitality' thing  for
our programs (remember that I said we wandered the lines of hopeful flu shot
folk passing out cookies, juice and coffee?  I give talks on how to make a
library a welcoming place all the time and food often helps <g>), the
evangelical church world, and the sports arena and somehow someway move the
re-training of liberal values in a setting whereby other needs will be met as
well?
(I think of the training of our bookclub leaders--we ALWAYS have to  explain
that people are not just getting together with like-minded people to  share
books, they are also looking for a fun and safe place to share ideas and
become
part of a 'community'.)

I'm not sure it is about being 'empty and confused' as it is being alone  and
afraid of the dark.

Just musing about concrete solutions,
Marlena in Missouri