[lit-ideas] The medium is the message (?)

  • From: cblists@xxxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2010 12:19:11 +0100

I suppose it *could* be considered a form of abuse - on my part, I mean.

For some reason, instead of 'Lady Gaga' or 'jokes about underwear', I keyed the name 'Keats' into the YouTube search field.

This came up as the first item:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asGolDPXMoo&feature=related

I didn't know whether to laugh or cry ...

Chris Bruce,
now unable to stop himself
from laughing, in
Kiel, Germany

P.S. I later tried 'Shelley'. I hadn't realized that, in addition to writing some rather fine poetry, he could also ... well, as the commentator puts it ... 'rock and roll'. (Before you rush off to search for it, perhaps i should mention that the account posting this and other related video clips bears the name 'hockeyfightsdotcom' - and this particular Shelley bears the first name 'Jody'.)

I was momentarily lifted from my 'disheartenedness' by seeing further down the search results a clip labelled 'Alan Rickman-Shelley'. Remembering some rather fine 'cine-poetic' moments from 'Truly, Madly, Deeply', my expectations were raised - but it turned out that the 'Shelley' referred to here was the lead character (not played by Rickman) in a later 20th century British sitcom, and Rickman's character had very little to say - none of it poetic; unless perhaps the comment made while lifting the frying pan from the unmade bed was some sort of metaphor too deep for me ....

-cb