[lit-ideas] Before the Law

  • From: Torgeir Fjeld <torgeir_fjeld@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2010 22:26:03 +0000 (GMT)

(Open Letter)

Dear JL
Advocate of the Library of Swimming-Pools
Buenos Aires
California

By the time this reaches you I shall be a long way from London and shall absent
myself from the remainder of the trial. But I shall still be in the country to
which I said I would return when I was granted bail.

I wish you to inform the Court that my absence, though deliberate, is not
intended in any way to he disrespectful. Nor is it prompted by any fear of the
punishment which might be inflicted on me. Indeed I realise fully that my
eventual punishment may be increased by my present conduct.

I have not taken this step lightly. As you will no doubt understand, I have
experienced great conflict between my desire to stay with my fellow accused
and, on the other hand, to try to continue the political work I believe to be
essential. My decision was made only because I believe that it is the duty of
every true opponent of this regime to remain in this topos and to oppose its
monstrous policy with every means in his power. That is what I shall do for as
long as I can.

These are my reasons for absenting myself from Court. If by my fight I can
encourage even some people to think about, to understand and to abandon the
policy they now so blindly follow, I shall not regret any punishment I may
incur.

I can no longer serve justice in the way I have attempted to do during the past
years. I can do it only in the way I have now chosen.

Finally, I would like you to urge upon the Court to bear in mind that if it
does have to punish any of my fellow accused, it will be punishing them for
holding the ideas today that will be universally accepted tomorrow.

Yours sincerely,
E Gelius

(from _The Interest of Counterfeist and Money_, ed. M. phatic, Slovenia: Art
House Press, 2005).