[lit-ideas] The grue/bleen distinction

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2007 17:46:52 EDT

The reason I find Goodman's distinction artificial may be due to the fact
that it does not distinguish what Kripke would call a 'natural kind'. And I
fail
 to see the link with induction.

In any case, I tried a search with OED to find that there are at least 125
words quoting Finnegans Wake, as they should.

No "gruebleen", though.

I tried Finnegans Wake _as occurring within the etymology section_ and came
across this interesting one:

quark:

[Invented word, associated with ‘Three quarks for Muster Mark!’ (Joyce
Finnegans Wake (1939) II. iv).
‘I employed  the sound “quork” for several weeks in 1963 before noticing “
quark” in “Finnegans Wake”,  which I had perused from time to time since it
appeared in 1939... The allusion  to three quarks seemed perfect... I needed an
excuse for retaining the  pronunciation quork despite the occurrence of “Mark”
, “bark”, “mark”, and so  forth in Finnegans  Wake. I found that excuse by
supposing that one ingredient of the  line “Three quarks for Muster Mark” was
a cry of “Three quarts for Mister...”  heard in H. C. Earwicker's pub.. IM.
Gell-Mann, private let. to Ed., 27  June 1978.]