[lit-ideas] "like a rudd yellan gruebleen orangeman"

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2007 16:35:01 EDT

What a beautiful quote from "Work in Progress", Paul.

So many 'implications', in it, -- most of the Celtic Twilight sort of  sphere
that only D. Ritchie can provide illumination for -- or McEvoy if he  leaves
his Poppers' books asides for a moment.

Argentina is WILD about Joyce -- in part thanks to me, who have taught a  few
of them (a literary club) into the majesticness of Finnegans Wake.

Recently, I saw this rather boring film, though, with Ewan McGregor as
JOYCE. The film, being feminist, is called NORA (after Nora Barnacle, who,
Joyce
said, stuck to him like a barnacle).

The film has beautiful bits about it. My favourite, the songs: as when Nora
plays the piano to Joyce's sining: "The man who broke the man of Montecarlo".
There's also a nice balladry a la McCormack -- and a scene where Joyce
actually  _competes_ with McCormack -- and loses.

"gruebleen" SHOULD be in the OED.
Somehow, I don't think Puritan Goodman was thinking of _him_ when he  thought
of 'grue' and 'bleen'. Incidentally, I don't find the puzzle so  attractive,
Goodman's, relying as it does on stipulative definitions of an  obvious patent
sort. But McEvoy, who finds induction a puzzle (like a Good  Popperian) may.

Cheers,

JL

---
his allabuff hemmed and his bullbraggin soxangloves  and his ladbroke breeks
and his cattegut bandolair and his  furframed panuncular cumbottes like a rudd
yellan gruebleen orangeman  in his violet indigonation,

----

'For like the campbells acoming with a fork lance of lightning, Jarl  von
Hoother Boanerges himself, the old terror of the dames, came hip hop handihap
out
through the pikeopened arkway of his three shuttoned castles, in his
broadginger hat and his civic chollar and his allabuff hemmed and his
bullbraggin
soxangloves and his ladbroke breeks and his cattegut bandolair and his
furframed
panuncular cumbottes like a rudd yellan gruebleen orangeman in his violet
indigonation, to the whole longth of the strongth of his bowman’s bill.'