[lit-ideas] Re: The bullshit stamp

  • From: wokshevs@xxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2007 17:05:29 -0230

Quoting Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>:

> David Ritchie wrote:
>
> > I thought, "How extraordinary."  And then, "At least I hope they're
> > extraordinary."
>
> Norman Malcolm once wrote in the margin of one of my papers, 'Meaning
> what, precisely?' I did not see this as a suggestion that I refine or
> sharpen the meaning of the underlined passage. I saw it (rightly, I
> think) as implying that there was no way it could be given any meaning
> at all. Not even a rough one.

If he were as good a teacher as he was a philosopher, I don't think he'd agree
with your reading of the marginalia. You missed a good opportunity to clarify
your thought for him and then see what his response would have been. Sarcasm
and rhetorical questions do not belong in professional feedback to students on
their work.

Walter O.
MUN