[lit-ideas] Re: The bullshit stamp

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2007 16:45:50 -0500

PS:
>>I had a professor in a Philosophy course who, at the end of my 25 page essay
>>simply put a 'B' with no comments throughout the entire paper....I still
>>fondly remember him as an obtuse asshole! <<

About 20 years ago, I took a graduate seminar in Heidegger -- no preparation
other than some bullshit philosophy courses 20 years previous to that -- which
I aced with little reading and almost no understanding of the subject.  But I
liked reading Heidegger, thought he spoke to me, although I'm  now pretty
certain that I've always grossly misread him -- anyway, U of M had a policy of
letting old farts (I was in my 40's then) with undergraduate degrees take any
course they wanted to for no credit if they were willing to fork over the
tuition.  I thought this would be a good chance to advance my Philosophical
career so I took the Heidegger seminar.  I wrote a brilliant paper on what
Heidegger means by "the holy".  I can't begin to remember what I wrote, but I,
like Paul, got a 'B' with no comment.  But unlike Paul, I knew not to look a
gift horse in the mouth.  Tom Nenon taught the class -- if any of you philo
types know him, tell him I said thanks.

Mike Geary
aka Mr. Coldfinger, Cool Dude, Dr. Freeze.  Freon Bail
Memphis