[lit-ideas] Re: The Welfare State vs the Individual

  • From: "Judith Evans" <judithevans1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 18:43:10 +0100

LH>a Welfare State is more intrusive than the U.S. Liberal
>Democracy.  It needs to gather more statistics, check more
>things, have you fill out more forms, have you meet more
requirements.

I went to the hospital today, to see a neurologist.  I forgot the
appointment
letter, no problem.  I asked whether they'd had a second letter
from
my GPs about the results of a CT scan (which wasn't related to
the neurology referral, but the result needed to be reported to
the
neurologist and he needed to give an opinion); they hadn't.  No
problem, the receptionist said: they could if necessary get the
GPs
to fax the information through.

So I sat and read a magazine.  I was seen ten minutes after
the stated time of the appointment -- they had to get the scan,
that's probably
what held things up.

Forms filled in by me at any stage of all this, zero.  Letters by
anyone else,
one, from my main GP; one, not yet written, from the neurologist
to my GP.
  ID provided by me, zero.  Non-medical queries to me,
zero.

(I am it seems fine; I celebrated that for the rest of the day!)

Judy Evans, Cardiff