[lit-ideas] Re: The War on Comedians

  • From: Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2004 00:11:26 -0700 (PDT)

--- Michael Chase <goya@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Le 4 avr. 04, =E0 11:37, Omar Kusturica a =E9crit :
>
> > PARIS, April 3 (IslamOnline.net) - A French court
> on
> > Friday, April 2, fined French comedian Dieudonne
> > M'Bala M'Bala 10.000 dollars and convicted him of
> > inciting ethnic hatred after criticizing the
> Israeli
> > policies in one of his performances.
>
> M.C. Come now. The dude dressed up as a
> Kalashnikov-toting rabbi and=20
> gave a Heil-Hitler style salute. That's not
> "criticizing the Israeli=20
> policies", it's perpetuating racist stereotypes.

*I beg to differ. A Kalashnikov-totting rabbi is not,
as far I know, an old anti-Semitic cliche. It is a way
of pointing to a quite new phenomenon, the religious
Zionism which only appeared in the last couple of
decades, which does produce plenty of bearded people
with kippas tottering guns. (Most of them are not
actual rabbis, it is true, but some are.) It is a
somewhat crude way perhaps, but comedy since
Aristophanes has not been the most sophisticated
genre. I cannot agree with it being suppressed, even
if the fine is a symbolic one.

O.K.