[lit-ideas] Re: The Surgical Strike Option and the Missing Sponge

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2006 12:11:00 -0800

The Rand argument was written in August 2004.  The essentiality of it was
updated and included in the Brookings argument posted by Eric a few days
ago.  We considered it as I read through and posted notes on Ilan Berman's
Tehran Rising.  The key to the surgical strike is contained in the second
paragraph of the Rand Argument and everyone else's subsequent: "Iran must
not be permitted to get nuclear weapons. Even if Tehran did not threaten to
use them against its neighbors or give aid to terrorists, Iran's becoming a
"nuclear power," however fledgling, would radically alter regional politics
and relationships in the Middle East and significantly complicate the
problems facing the U.S. and others."

Rand, Brookings and Berman all argued that we use diplomacy to get Iran to
give up their efforts to acquire nuclear weapons.  The article yesterday
from Britain and the one today from Australia indicate that the White House
is still hoping that diplomacy will work, but if it doesn't, and at present
it doesn't appear that it will, "Iran must not be permitted to get nuclear
weapons."

Lawrence

  _____