[lit-ideas] Re: The Sounds of Life

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 09:18:44 -0800

Announcing to your future father-in-law the fact that you wish to wed his daughter can be tricky. I imagine Donald George doing fine with George Crowley-Kennedy and then listening carefully when his turn came; his future son-in-law turned out to be Paul M. Cocks. How it went between Vernon Blom and Mr. Antidormi, I don't know, but Iralda did become Iralda Antidormi Blom and their daughters grew up to become Janet Dykes and Dianna Peck. Had they all been lawyers they could have teamed with their brother, hanging up a shingle, "Dykes, Peck and Antidormi Blom." Perhaps the son was just plain old Blom? Herbert Wedge somehow persuaded Sadie King's dad that things among all of them would be fine. The Reverend Patrick Mary McNamara, O.S.M., most recently in resident ministry at the Sanctuary of Our Sorrowful Mother (The Grotto), probably never faced this particular life situation, which may also have been true of John Houston Sutton; he's survived by a companion, Cindy, daughters Misty, Crystal and Jo Vanna, son Jonathon, and one grandchild.

Carry on.

David Ritchie,
reading the obits in
Portland, Oregon