[lit-ideas] Re: The 'Near-Eastern' influences on the Greek philosophy, sc...

  • From: Donal McEvoy <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2004 12:05:28 +0100 (BST)

> *It was perhaps the fact that the observation was made
> by DMcE that made me think it was banal.

Perhaps. But I still cannot see how it is fair to dismiss a claim that
another claim is banal or false as itself banal if it is true - and OK does
nothing to show it is not true.

> *I thought RP's formulation might have been sloppy in
> the second sentence. In any case, I would wait for him
> to clarify what he wanted to say before throwing
> accusations of sophistry and the like.

If only we all were so patient: but no clarification I can imagine would save
the claim from falsehood or banality. And OK says nothing to show the
contrary.

> *I am not sure what is being suggested here. Popper
> and Russell were professional philosophers and, in my
> opinion, of the less interesting variety. I have no
> wish to discuss Popper's sentiments and, if there is
> nothing else to be discussed, I would like to
> discontinue this exchange.

By all means enlighten me as to the more interesting variety and their
results. I happen to find P's critical rationalism a highly interesting
philosophy and really not to be regarded as someone's mere _sentiments_. It
does not, absent substantive argument, seem very critical or rational to
suggest otherwise. But then I note you are disinclined to discuss the matter
further. Not obviously a good sign.

Donal
London