[lit-ideas] Re: The Left Only Exists In Lawrence's Head

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 19:54:05 -0600

Brian:
>> Let me give you an example: last month Ursula wrote how "grateful to Canada"
>> she is and that she feels she gave her "kids the gift of Canadianess."  But
>> then she ended with "There is so much that is wonderful about America. But
>> it's presence in the world today is harmful to me and mine" and not one
>> person challenged that notion.  Not one person on this list stood up and
>> said hey its great you like Canada but I love America, and how exactly is
>> America's presence in the world harmful? <<

Let me give you some examples:  The war in Iraq.  The Patriot Act.  The war in
Iraq.  Extreme Rendition.  The war in Iraq.  Abu Ghraib. The war in Iraq.
Guantanamo.  The war in Iraq.  Lying to the American people.  The war in Iraq.
Unbridled arrogance and duplicity at the UN.  The war in Iraq.  Abandonment of
the citizens of New Orleans.  Refusal to sign the Kyoto Treaty.  Economic
pandering to the the super wealthy.  Failure to honor AIDS commitments.  The
attempt to steal Social Security from the people and turn it over to Wall
Street.  The assault on the wall between Church and State.  The sitting on
hands while the Sudan commits genocide in Darfur.  There are many more things
but I think you might get the idea why Ursula and many people like me agree
with Ursula.  America has lost it's way under this Administration even more
than -- much more than -- under Lyndon Johnson with his disastrous war.  At
least Johnson was for the people, not for corporate greed.  Had it not been for
Vietnam, I'd count Johnson as one of America's best Presidents.  But Bush and
his administration I believe to be harmful to America even if  there had never
been his criminal invasion of Iraq.

Hope this helps.
Mike Geary
Memphis

There is one issue on which I agree with Bush and admire his leadership -- that
of immigration.  Astonishingly, he has stood against his base and party to
champion poor and desperate people -- or he's kissing the ass of the corporate
employers who need their labor.  My good nature makes me choose the former.