[lit-ideas] Re: The Importance of Being Only

  • From: Donal McEvoy <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2010 08:01:48 +0000 (GMT)

>I think J. D. Atlas has written on this, from a Gricean perspective. He
argues that 'only' adds only to the IMPLICATURE. Never to the explicature:

"She is a whore"

"She is only a whore".

"only" does not _add_ to the *semantics* -- only the pragmatics.>

Depending what we mean by meaning, surely "only" does change the meaning and
thus the semantics? Perhaps you were thinking of Charles Atlas?

Donal
Salop