[lit-ideas] The First Asshole Narrator in Literature?

  • From: Eric <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2006 17:53:35 -0500

I recommended Denis Johnson's The Stars at Noon to a friend, who liked the novel but said the female narrator was an asshole. Accustomed as we now are to Humbert Humbert narrators, I wonder if anyone can suggest the first asshole narrator in literature?

I was thinking of the falsely-named narrator of Rameau's Nephew by Diderot. Then wondered if the Pardoner in Canterbury Tales fit the bill. Maybe some of the narrators in Lucian's satires? Anybody have any notions?