[lit-ideas] Is there any such thing as a Moderate Muslim?

  • From: Eric <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2006 18:04:15 -0500

Lawrence: What I found most interesting was Kelly’s conclusion that the reaction against the Port deal in the U.S. was indication of a growing prejudice that there are no Moderate Muslims. . . . . An overwhelming majority of Americans were not willing to accept Bush’s assurance that Dubai is moderate.

Apropos of the situation, if not the topic -- does anyone recall Paddy Chayefsky's film Network?

In that film, the mad prophet of the airwaves ("We're mad as hell and we're not going to take it anymore!") gets great ratings by articulating the discontent of the American public.

Remember that this is 1976.

What gets the mad prophet into trouble is that he reveals that the conglomerate that bought the news network has just been acquired by "The Saudis."

"The Arabs are buying us," he shouts. He tells everyone to write to their Congresspeople and stop the deal. They do.

That brings about his chastisement by the corporate Big Boss, who screams at him that he is "meddling with the primal forces of nature," and that "we needed that Saudi money!"

The Big Boss then converts the mad prophet into a messenger of economic globalism--"you're an old man who believes in nations and ideologies. There are no nations. There are no ideologies. There is only IBM, ATT, DuPont, Exxon...these are the real nations of the world."

Only after he begins to preach this evangel, do his ratings fall. Nobody wants to hear the bad news that they don't matter anymore. The Boss wants the message out, people don't want to hear it, his ratings drop lower, and ... I won't give away the rest.

But remember: that was in 1976.