[lit-ideas] Re: The Dunce

  • From: Donal McEvoy <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2004 12:28:56 +0100 (BST)

My take is slightly different (see below). For one, Bush is one of the most
insightful and intelligent Presidents the USA has ever had. (Btw, I only
entered this thread because I thought it was about Kirsten Dunce, my
favourite most sexiest actress of all time; that means, I am not politically
motivated, okay? Right).

> Students who challenged and embarrassed Bush in class would then become the
> subject of a
> whispering campaign by him, Tsurumi said. "In class, he couldn't challenge
> them. But after
> class, he sometimes came up to me in the hallway and started bad-mouthing
> those students who
> had challenged him. He would complain that someone was drinking too much.
> It was innuendo
> and lies.

No, this is innuendo and even lies: Bush _would_ complain that "someone", ie.
himself, was drinking too much - and _then_ bad-mouth the pedantic,
fun-hating bookworms who challenged what were mere gibes and frivolities
blurted out when he was well-oiled on the juice, man. Problem?

>So that's how I knew, behind his smile and his smirk, that he was
> a very insecure,
> cunning and vengeful guy."

Right Tsurumi: smiling and smirking are well-known behavioural traits of
Orientals, aren't they, so could you perhaps be one? Is your insecure,
cunning and vengeful guy really you in the mirror, and not some gook-hating
redneck who got a lot farther in life than you? Think about it. If he is so
stupid how is he so cunning? Isn't smiling and smirking something the Japs
automatically did before cutting off your goolies, whereas US Marines would
grunt like a Russell Crowe while applying their field knife to the relevant
appendages, with perhaps only a smile and a smirk afterwards when holding up
said trophies to the gang, and then only sometimes? That's quite a
difference.

> Many of Tsurumi's students came from well-connected or wealthy families,
> but good manners
> prevented them from boasting about it, the professor said.

Bollix. They were just complete snobs who thought such boasting infradig.
Good manners my arse. At least Bush was open and honest about his blatant
blagging.

>But Bush seemed
> unabashed about
> the connections that had brought him to Harvard. "The other children of the
> rich and famous
> were at least well bred to the point of realizing universal values and
> standards of
> behavior," Tsurumi said.

Well Professor, I have a little lesson in what are universal values and
standards of behaviour, which you can get to below if you aren't too busy
smiling and smirking as you stick the stilleto in the neck of another decent
non-oriental [in fact, redneck] US Citizen who got his citizenship the proper
way - by birthright - and not by some smiling and smirking suck-up job to the
State Dept. while he kept a razorblade under his tongue for the US President.
You make me sick.

>But Bush sometimes came late to class and often
> sat in the back row
> of the theater-like classroom, wearing a bomber jacket from the Texas Air
> National Guard and
> spitting chewing tobacco into a cup.

Jeez. Nips and Japs do all kinds of shit in their own country, like hari-kiri
and kamikazi and eati-doggi-doggi. And you make a big deal about spitting
into a cup. Where Bush comes from that _is_ manners. Saved you or some other
non-Wasp sweeping the floor afterwards, Prof. And why shouldn't he wear a
bomber jacket? Maybe _he_ doesn't think you should have no reminders of Pearl
Harbour anymore. O yes. Some ain't forgotten.

> "At first, I wondered, 'Who is this George Bush?' It's a very common name
> and I didn't know
> his background.

You snobby suck-up. So what if it was George _Kennedy_, not _Bush_? Would you
say to yourself that's a "very common name" - or maybe that he got here
because of his place in a rightful political dynasty that should run the
country forever - or even because he might just be that big, burly actor who
was in lots of Westerns and disaster movies and is something of a gay icon?
Do you even for moment think that GWB ever said to himself 'Who is this
Tsunami or whatever you're called? It's not a very common name and I don't
know his background?' Of course he wouldn't indulge in such snobbish,
childish questioning. Even though you criticise him for being right at the
back of the class, I can tell you he would have just known that you were some
kind of educated gook.

> And he was such a bad student that I asked him once how he
> got in. He said,
> 'My dad has good friends.'"

What - and you haven't? Ain't you heard of modesty? The Pope thanks his
Father above for his election - BFD, as Larry Kramer used to say.

>Bush scored in the lowest 10 percent of the
> class.

What, once, twice, on average [which has several meanings btw], or always?
Even if it was always it might just have been a very smart class. But your
lack of adequate quantification of this statement shows you are perhaps not
the most reliable and accurate statistician in the first place.

> The Vietnam War was still roiling campuses and Harvard was no exception.
> Bush expressed
> strong support for the war but admitted to Tsurumi that he'd gotten a
> coveted spot in the
> Texas Air National Guard through his father's connections.

Nice one, George! Go for it!!

> "I used to chat up a number of students when we were walking back to
> class," Tsurumi said.

Here we go..the man who talks of universal principles and morals and shit.
YOU hit on students when you're walking them back to class, and if it was "a
number" at once that suggests you're into groups, know what I mean - no
wonder you're now just at Baruche or Spinoza or wherever the hell it is and
not in the White House leading the Free World on its Great Expedition.

Enough already.

Donal
kerry's a hairy fairy
bush is a tush with whoosh