[lit-ideas] Re: The Downing Street Memos: The Hot Parts

  • From: Judy Evans <judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 17:56:03 +0100

Monday, June 20, 2005, 2:50:34 PM, Eternitytime1@xxxxxxx wrote:

Eac> I think it will have an impact on the people in the US only
Eac> if Tony Blair gets in trouble.

He already has. He took a bad hit in the General Election. But of
course, it made no sense for anti-War voters to vote Conservative -
and where there was an anti-War Labour MP, they'd probably get the Left
anti-War vote.  Unfortunately, many in the US who'd have liked to see
Blair voted out didn't (and don't) see the difficulty the anti-War
Left here faced, and misread the result.

But Blair will leave the leadership before the next election.

The DSMs are though having an effect in the US.  (Here, well, no; not
really: a majority already believed we'd been lied to, etc..)

Eac> He is looked at so well here and
Eac> as a validation  of GWB's policies.  Only then would they begin
Eac> to really believe that there  is anything but a partisan effort
Eac> going on with the memos.

That's not my impression.  I think the DSMs have had an effect. But I
agree they haven't had a mass effect and won't till your mainstream
media takes them up more thoroughly.

-- Perhaps if you told people the Sainted Blair called Jack Straw a
tart?! :) (that was in the Torygraph, but it could still be right)

Eac> The only aspect in my world that has changed is that a DJ
Eac> recently returned from Iraq (Reserves) and is speaking out
Eac> against the war--and  other soldiers ARE calling in when he has
Eac> his show. He's on one of the  'alternative music' stations which
Eac> allows more of that sort of 'talk', but I  have been surprised
Eac> that he was even allowed a voice at all (given where I live  and
Eac> the powers that be...)

I think perhaps where you live is having an effect!  But I don't see
Bush being impeached on this issue or on Gitmo etc..

--

                             mailto:judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx